TENCEL ™: innovative, soft, sustainable
In addition to cotton, TENCEL ™ is not only one of our second most important natural fibers, but also one of our absolute favorites.
But what exactly is TENCEL ™ ?
The TENCEL ™ fiber is made from beech wood and belongs to the family of regenerated fibers. Regenerated fibers are fibers that are made from naturally occurring, renewable raw materials using chemical processes. The TENCEL ™ fiber gets its name from the company Lenzing, which has revolutionized the textile industry thanks to its particularly resource-saving "edelweiss" manufacturing process.
Why do we use TENCEL™ ?
TENCEL ™ is naturally soft on the skin and, thanks to its manufacture using "Edelweiss Technology", is particularly resource-saving and ecological. The fiber is vegan and, due to its natural origin, biodegradable. < br />
In terms of its wearing properties, the modal fiber impresses not only with its special softness, but also with its wonderfully flowing drape and the fact that the fibers can absorb a lot of moisture. The modal fabrics also retain their shape even after many washes and are therefore particularly durable.
Why is TENCEL ™ so sustainable?
The sustainability of the modal fiber has been scientifically examined and confirmed by the University of Utrecht. This is due, on the one hand, to the biological origin of the fiber and, on the other hand, to the particularly environmentally friendly manufacturing process used by Lenzing.
Advantages of the beech tree as a raw material:
- Co2 binding during the growth of the beech helps to relieve the planet
- Natural resistance to pests and environmental influences through deep-seated roots
- Natural rainwatering is sufficient
- Propagation without human intervention
- Local fiber production in Austria. From the raw material wood to pulp production to fiber production, all stages of fiber production are at one and the same location.
Advantages of the "Edelweiß manufacturing process" from Lenzing
Thanks to its innovative manufacturing processes, Lenzing enables a sustainable recycling economy and recovers a large part of the resources used.
- Origin of the wood from ecological and sustainable forestry in Austria
- Transparent design of the value chain
- High recovery rates of the process chemicals used (up to 95%)
- Minimizing wastewater and emissions pollution
- Formation of sodium sulfate as a co-product. This "waste product" is used in the detergent, glass and food industries.
Lenzing circular economy model on Lenzing.com p>
How is the TENCEL ™ fiber extracted from beech wood:
In order to obtain such a soft material as Modal, the beech trunks must first be debarked. More than half of the wood can be processed into modal fibers.
The remainder of the wood is thermally used in the Lenzing plant and thus makes a significant contribution to the company's energy generation.
With the help of various chemical processes, the cellulose fibers can be converted into a spinnable material after debarking will. These fibers are made into yarn and then knitted or woven.
TENCEL ™ products from OGNX:
Since we are convinced of the advantages of the TENCEL ™ fiber, we are already using it for some of our women and men yoga tanks, pullovers and trousers. The aim is to continuously expand the Lenzing portion of our collection.
For our OGNX sportswear, the modal fiber is first spun into yarn by Lenzing. Lenzing sends the fibers to our partner in Portugal, who knits the yarn into a fine jersey. The raw material is then forwarded to our Portuguese producer. At its penultimate station, the raw material is now cut, sewn and subjected to a quality check before it finally makes its way to our warehouse in Cologne.
Advantages of TENCEL ™ compared to cotton:
Compared to cotton fibers, Modal is more elastic, more durable and more dimensionally stable. It is also more firm, creases less and is easier to iron.
- More ecological, local and resource-saving cultivation
- No need for fertilizers
- Shorter transport routes
- No artificial irrigation needed. The water consumption for irrigation of Modal is 10-20 times lower than for the cultivation of conventional cotton. In addition, a large part of the water is only used for cooling purposes and is returned unpolluted to the surface waters.
- Extraction of by-products in the manufacturing process
Maintenance of TENCEL ™ :
Modal can be washed between 30 ° and 60 °. A gentle cycle with mild detergent at a low spin speed (600 revolutions) is usually sufficient. It is best to use a laundry net for additional protection of your clothing. In this way you avoid friction with other textiles. Before washing, always observe the instructions on the care label.